Monday, September 7, 2009

One down. 32 to go.

Great first week everyone. I am impressed with the quality of writing I have seen in your diagnostic essays, and I'm happy with the results of the summer reading quiz--I think some of you may have even read it. This upcoming week promises to be the beginning of our busy season. You will be reading quite a bit, studying a variety of material and writing as much as we can from now through Winter Break. I know you are up to it and look forward to a successful first semester.
I do have a few things to point out about your essays. Many of you listened well to the discussion we had regarding sonnets and writing in general, others did not. Most of you remembered to use the poet's last name after the first reference, some of you chose to call her "Emma"--wrong. Again, most of you put a thesis statement at the end of the first paragraph, though some put it elsewhere, if you put one in at all. I was generally happy with the use of the poem to support your claims, though we need to work on integrating quotes. I put a grade on those papers, but very little by way of commentary. Feel free to come by my room (by appointment) if you would like more feedback on your individual writing. Most of you dealt well with the prompt, though a few of you chose to save a discussion of how things have changed in America for the very end of the essay. That issue was half of the main question and should have been given an appropriate amount of attention. A few of you, much to your credit, spoke of the poem as an Italian sonnet--kudos. Nobody mentioned "Ozymandias" as a interesting parallel sonnet to "The New Colossus". That might make a good subject for a later date. All in all, it was a fine first effort for the great majority of you and bodes well for the new year.

A few reminders for this week:

1. We are starting our weekly vocabulary. Make sure you do the first week's worth.
2. You will need your textbook on Wednesday and Thursday.
3. We will start our Brooks Landon' lecture series tomorrow. Come with an open mind and be prepared to take notes.

Thanks again for a great week and I'll see you Tuesday.

Dr. C

No comments:

Post a Comment