Wednesday, September 30, 2009
Grades, smades
With Back to School night upon us once again, I am reminded of the real reason you are here--to get the grade. Notice, I didn't say "a" grade. I know you all want the "A", and you all want to know what can be done to attain it. I also know that the pressure you're under to achieve is immense and unprecedented. Soulwise, these be trying times. To you who have asked in earnest, "What can I do to bring up my grade?" My only reply is that you must learn to love English (subject and course). If you can't do that, you don't deserve an "A"--really. Learn to love Nathaniel Hawthorne, to get excited about a writing opportunity, to relish your participation in class discussion. I know you're thinking this all sounds like bullshit, but it's true. The fastest way to improve your grade is to stop checking it, and start checking in. Worry about the books, the grammar, the occasionally important thing I say in class. Worry less about: phones, lunch, Stanford, etc. The truth is, Stanford doesn't want you if all you want is Stanford. Want to save the world; want to get rich (preferably by saving the world please); want to be unique? Love your studies. They make you big and strong, put hair on your chest, and, above all, they make you educated. Nobody can take that from you, and it's worth more than a letter grade.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
After all the discussion in class about Scarlet Letter and listening to your interpretation of Hawthorne's elegant and effective rhetoric.. I've begun to approach SL as something beautiful and deep rather than a required chore.
ReplyDeleteThank you!
Somehow, I cant really convince my mom with Dr. Colemans logic. By the way, I'm John.
ReplyDeleteI like your quote from Brooks Landon! :)
ReplyDeleteShouldn't it be "Schmades"? sounds a bit more proper. Maybe. I don't know.
ReplyDeleteI kinda wonder what Brooks Landon sounds like when hes had too many.