Monday, October 5, 2009
Ride, like the wind?
Sometimes we do things for friends that we otherwise would avoid, like hauling furniture, seeing a movie we don't want to see, or, as was the case last weekend, riding 120 miles in two days on a bicycle. I just completed this bike ride as a fundraiser for a friend who has MS, which is a chronic disease of the central nervous system, as signs posted throughout the route of the ride reminded us each day. I'm not much of a bike rider, preferring to ride the leather of my couch on Sundays to being out in the elements. Elements, did I mention the elements? The first day of our ride was wonderful. We all felt good, riding with enthusiasm, taking hills like goats and eating/drinking all the freebies at rest stops with abandon. The second day was less wonderful. Whereas the first day was the "hard" one on the map, with steep climbs and the promise of higher temperatures, the second day was supposed to be the "easy" flat ride. It was flat, but the 30 t0 40 mph headwinds we rode into for the majority of it, made the ride less than enjoyable. What should have been a 4 or 5 hour ride became an 8 hour endurance test. Still, even though I can't swear my attitude was terrific throughout the day, we were determined to finish and we did. I thought about writing the usual "this ride is a metaphor for life" kind of entry today, but then I remembered how much I hate that sort of thing. Sports are not metaphors for life, because they take place during our lives. Physical challenges help us to put life into perspective. I did this ride for my friend, but I have gotten so much out of it. We have lots of goals for our personal development throughout life, though most of us, especially when you get to be as ancient as I am becoming, forget the physical side of life too soon. I was reminded this weekend that I can still meet challenges of the body, as well as those of the mind--as if there is any real separation. It was a good reminder.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi this is Tasneem. I'm not sure if this counts as a grammar mistake but the "to" is spelled "t0".
ReplyDelete"It was flat, but the 30 t0 40 mph headwinds we rode into for the majority of it, made the ride less than enjoyable."